viernes, octubre 26, 2007

Regret?





What are your opinions on the glory days of rock?

I thought the time when The Who and Led Zeppelin (1960s-1970s) would be the glory days.

The Who? Crazy drummer, bassist with godlike skills, a singer with a voice that you can't find anywhere now (seriously, no one sounds like Peter Townshend nowadays) and a guitarist who is just plain unique.

Led Zeppelin? Stairway to Heaven. Not many songs define an era as that song does. American Pie is another definition of an era. The song of hope and hippie and free love and all those corny 1970's ideals that a 6 year old kid today will laugh at and go 'Boy, that's naive.' They also wrote a few songs about J.R Tolkien (Battle of Evermore). Which does explain their distinctness. The drums on Kashmir are very distinctive. Although their performance on the above video is so disappointing.

As for the new bands that are coming out now? Post-punk sounds most promising. I can't name any bands now, I admit I am badly informed in that area. I just like Yellowcard and The Used (does Reliant K count? and Angels and Airwaves and Finch) are two of the possibly hundreds of awesome bands that are out there.



Is there a method to this madness? Simply put: I like the before, and I like what's gonna come next. The past tells me the reason for how it(whatever it is) is. People look to God, I read the history books.

The future is exciting. The future can be shaped. The future is forward, and there's 6 billion people's hopes and dreams. In the next day at least a thousand people are gonna have their wishes come true. The black and destitute homie 16 year old in USA gets his first taste of crack. The shrewd, young China entrepreneur gets his first million. The sick man waiting to die in a old folk's home finally gets to go, in his sleep.

I hate the present. It's presently hateful. What happened, and what's gonna happen, that's all that matters.

Plans, hopes, dreams, fears.

One of these day's I'm just gonna prepare myself to wander around. I don't know where or how or when but it's one of my life's dreams. If I can't I'll just dream about it...
















P.S. Remind self to listen to Angels and Airwaves, Finch, Death Cab for Cutie, Reliant K, Taking Back Sunday, Muse, Funeral for a Friend, Secondhand Serenade. Recommended by bruther sarah tau huey, so that warrants a listen =D